Hello Gilbert Heights Families,
September 11, 2020
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year! Although this year looks different than any other year, we are dedicated to providing your children a memorable, interactive, engaging distance learning experience with the hope of eventually being able to safely return to school in person. This September is nothing I would have ever imagined in my 30+ years of being an educator. As a principal and parent, I am very empathetic to what you are going through as you plan for the upcoming year. I know that there are still so many unknowns and unanswered questions. I recognize that this is frustrating. What I do know is that our Gilbert Heights community has the most dedicated and loving staff and families! I admire your children and continue to be so thankful for the opportunity to serve you each day.
The entire GH staff is busy getting ready and are so excited to see you next week during our “Week of Welcome”!
Here is what you can expect next week:
- Each grade level is hosting a live virtual Open House meeting on Google Meets. The dates, times and links are listed below. They are also on our website in the calendar. The events will be recorded and shared out for those unable to attend the live events. Our specialists are also recording messages that will be posted on our website.
- Teachers are busy making individual phone calls to families to connect with you, answer questions and get a little information from you that will help us to best serve you and your family during Distance Learning. If you miss the teacher’s call, just send them an email letting them know when they can call you back.
- Students will log-into Google Classroom and have short live (synchronous) sessions with their class each day. These sessions are a way to build classroom community and start getting the students prepared for school online. There may also be small asynchronous (not live) tasks for your student to do each day. Your teacher will communicate with you about the schedule for next week. Each live class session will start at 9:00 am.
- School provided free meals (breakfast and lunch) begin Monday. Click this link for the flier with information regarding location and time. To Go Meals.pdf
- Your teachers will communicate the details of the school schedule. Important things to know right now are that every class starts the day with a live class connect session from 9:00-9:20. Lunch and a movement breaks for all grades are from 12:00-1:00 and the instructional day ends at 2:00. Live classroom sessions will be recorded so that if your student misses any of the live sessions they will be able to view them later.
As always, please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions! Our office is open from 8:00-4:00 every day. Our school phone number is 503-256-6502.
I hope you are all staying safe and well!
Let’s work together to make this year a great year – ensuring all students learn, grow and thrive at Gilbert Heights!
Gilbert Heights Elementary School Mission Statement
Gilbert Heights will provide meaningful, equitable and highly effective instruction so that each student will grow and thrive socially, emotionally and academically. We will ensure this occurs in a safe, respectful and culturally responsive environment where all students, families and staff feel welcomed and supported.
Most district communication and updates for families will occur via email and online platforms, and all student education will occur in this format. If you need assistance with this, please reach out via DDSD family support for technology: Phone number-503.261.8391, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The district is currently applying for grants to help provide Wifi to families in need.